It is not just October when we talk about and reach out to Scholars about ways of interacting, learning, and growing throughout the middle school experience - but October is highlighted as a National Month for Bullying awareness.
At Lane - Starting TODAY - the P. L.U.S Ticket is being introduced as the staff at Lane continues to work to empower Scholars to Preserve, demonstrate Leadership, increase actions of Uplift, and grow as Scholars. Ask your Scholar about the messages shared today with them.
Parents/Guardians and our staff at Lane play key roles in preventing and responding to bullying - this is a true partnership. It is important that our Parents/Guardians help their Scholars understand and know what bullying is so Scholars can better identify it and can talk about it. Scholars need to know ways to SAFELY stand up to bullying and how to get help.
Encourage your Scholars to:
- Speak to a trusted adult if they are being bullied AND/OR if they see others being bullied.
- Report bullying to an adult if and when it happens.
- Tell someone to 'stop' directly and confidently.
- Talk with a trusted adult for strategies for staying safe.
- Help other Scholars who are bullied by showing kindness, getting help, and living the PLUS at Lane.
For everyone that supports a Scholar - Scholars look to their parent(s), guardian(s), and teachers for advice. It is amazing what 15 minutes talking can do for a Scholar. We are all encouraged to ask questions like the following.
- What was one good thing that happened today? Any bad things?
- What is lunch time like at your school? Who do you sit with? What do you talk about?
- What is it like to ride the school bus?
- What are you good at? What do you like best about yourself?
As we all support the Scholars at Lane or at home.....
- Encourage Scholars to do what they love!
- Be a Model of how to treat others with Kindness, Respect, and the PLUS!