Welcome to our the 2016-2017 school year!
September has been proclaimed as Attendance Awareness Month by our Superintendent Dr. Lexmond. "WHEREAS good attendance is essential to student achievement and graduation, and we are committed to dedicating our resources and attention to reducing chronic absenteeism rather, with a focus starting as early as kindergarten."
At this time of the year we all need reminders....this post is going to be short, but specific to attendance at school! While we all have things come up and illnesses happen to everyone - besides those unforeseen circumstances - WE NEED YOU HERE!
Our school district has committed to the following three 'will dos':
- Make clear that improved student attendance is one of our school district's top priorities among all of our teachers and school leaders.
- Use data to raise public awareness, establish targets and goals, track progress and assure accountability.
- Engage parents and the community - inlacing civic and elected leaders, local businesses, clergy members and nonprofit organizations - to help us spread the message that good attendance matters and help us come up with solutions to ensure all children are in school as much as possible.
Not only is academic achievement tied to school attendance, but don't forget about the social and emotional growth that takes place in our middle level Scholars by being present at Lane. The following is some information that was shared by our Department of Instruction:
- Chronic absence is a leading, early warning indicator of academic trouble and later dropout
- Good attendance helps Scholars do well in school and eventually in the workplace
- Relationship building is fundamental to any strategy for improving Scholar attendance and Scholar success
- Excused and unexcused absences easily add up to too much time lost in the classroom
- Scholars are considered at academic risk if they miss 10 percent of the school year
- Chronic absence, missing 10 percent of the school year or more, does not just affect the students who miss school
- Absences limit Scholars collaboration with peers and teachers
- We need to monitor how many days each Scholar misses school for any reason - excused, unexcused or suspensions - we we can all intervene early
- Chronic absence is a problem we can solve when the whole community, along with parents and schools get involved in improving attendance
- Reducing chronic absence can help close achievement gaps
We want all of our Scholars at Lane as much as possible - it is just too great a place to not be at every day! If there is anything any staff member at Lane can do to ensure that your Scholar(s) are at school please let us know. Please know that if attendance becomes a question either myself or our Dean of Students Mr. Stolpe will be in contact so we can support the Scholar and his/her family.
As a small measure we will be making our daily attendance to start the year a daily message via our social media platforms - as the year moves along we may move to a weekly announcement.
Yours in Learning,